Thursday, October 6, 2016

Cinque Terre

I'm sure you've all heard of Cinque Terre - "five lands" aka five small and lovely fishing villages on the coast of Italian Riviera. I was super lucky to visit this heaven on earth at the end of August and let me tell you, it was a dream come true.

Cinque Terre travel diary Riomaggore Manarola Vernazza Monterosso

Cinque Terre travel diary Riomaggore Manarola Vernazza Monterosso
Cinque Terre travel diary Riomaggiore Manarola Vernazza Monterosso




The first village we visited was Riomaggiore, the closest village to La Spezia. Getting to Cinque Terre from La Spezia is super easy, you can buy a Cinque Terre pass that includes rail travel and also covers all hiking trails. Riomaggiore is truly beautiful and didn't let me down at all, even though my expectations were pretty high. And since we visited early before all crowds came, the harbour felt quite serene. Make sure you walk down to the marina as well if you fancy a swim. I wish we had more time in Riomaggiore to just sit by the harbour and watch the boats go by but I'll leave that for the next time..

Cinque Terre travel diary Riomaggore Manarola Vernazza Monterosso


Cinque Terre travel diary Riomaggore Manarola Vernazza Monterosso
Cinque Terre travel diary Riomaggore Manarola Vernazza Monterosso
Cinque Terre travel diary Riomaggore Manarola Vernazza Monterosso
Cinque Terre travel diary Riomaggore Manarola Vernazza Monterosso
Cinque Terre travel diary Riomaggore Manarola Vernazza Monterosso
Cinque Terre travel diary Riomaggore Manarola Vernazza Monterosso
Myfavourite village out of the 4 that we visited was Manarola. It's quite similar to Riomaggiore but in Manarola you can go deep-water swimming which was one of my highlights of this trip. Also, Manarola is the best place where to watch sunset because it is the only village that is facing west. Buy a bottle of prosecco and enjoy the magical view - that's what we did.

Cinque Terre travel diary Riomaggore Manarola Vernazza Monterosso


Cinque Terre travel diary Riomaggore Manarola Vernazza Monterosso
Unfortunately we didn't have enough time to go to Corniglia, so after Manarola we went to straight to Vernazza. Vernazza is slightly bigger than the previous towns we visited but it was still super lovely.

Cinque Terre travel diary Riomaggore Manarola Vernazza Monterosso






Cinque Terre travel diary Riomaggore Manarola Vernazza Monterosso
Cinque Terre travel diary Riomaggore Manarola Vernazza Monterosso
If you've got an hour or two, make sure to hike from Vernazza to Monterosso. I'd say for someone who is not very athletic (me) it's a tough walk but sooo worth it! There are so many beautiful sights along the way but if you don't want to do the whole hike, make sure to climb the first couple of hills because the view of Vernazza below is just breathtaking.

Cinque Terre travel diary Riomaggore Manarola Vernazza Monterosso


Cinque Terre travel diary Riomaggore Manarola Vernazza Monterosso
Cinque Terre travel diary Riomaggore Manarola Vernazza Monterosso
Cinque Terre travel diary Riomaggore Manarola Vernazza Monterosso
Monterosso is the biggest and also the most touristic town of all five, it even had cars driving around! After finishing our hike the first thing we wanted to do was have a dip in the sea and that's what we did. Monterosso has plenty of sandy beaches to choose from if you don't particularly like the rocky beach of Riomaggiore or deep-water swimming of Manarola. Most of the beaches in Monterosso are private and you need to pay for those but there are at least two that are for free - just have look for the signs that say "spiagge liberi".

Please if you haven't been to Cinque Terre, add it to your bucket list. As I mentioned before, I had really high expectations from all the beautiful photos I had seen on Pinterest and Tumblr all those years ago but trust me - Cinque Terre won't let you down. It's like a small paradise on earth.

22 comments:

  1. It looks so stunning, how long did you spend in each village?

    Dana | fashiondew.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. only a couple of hours in each :( x

      Delete
  2. These pictures are amazing! I love the dress

    Fowzia|Crazy4ties

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. How nice this place is. Like it!
    Good vibes, FOX
    check out my blog www.rochellefox.com.au and my latest VLOG

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit I didn't get to explore Cinque Terre for that long (I was on a tour) but I did really love it. I can't remember which island it is but on the main one I think I had an amazing homemade pesto pasta!

    www.thesundaymode.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. this place looks like heaven on earth. it reminds me so much of the vieste area and its beautiful down there. i really have to make time to explore italy some more.


    loovelle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty!


    http://brightdecember.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your photos and style! VANS FOREVER!


    http://thebookwormbeauty.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I went to Cinque Terre as a shore excursion on a cruise ship. I agree that it was beautiful and it was so easy to take good photos there. Unfortunately, it was such a quick visit when I went, but that gives me the excuse I need to go back someday to explore it more thoroughly ;)

    www.thesundaymode.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic pictures! You look great!


    http://MARTASFASHIONDIARY.com/casual-tuesday/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing Pics!!! Love the Cinque Terre and Italy so much!!!

    FOLLOW my Blog!!! Maybe we can follow each other!!!
    www.rimanerenellamemoria.de

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. This city is so magical and you captured it so perfectly in the pictures. xoxo Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  12. These pictures are absolutely beautiful!
    Beataba.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such beautiful imagery! loving the look of this place and your outfits x


    Jenny | Krystel Couture

    ReplyDelete
  14. You look amazing. I love the photography of your blog.
    Obsessed Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete
  15. beautiful images! love the tone of the edit ^^ cinque terre is on my bucket list, looks beautiful!!

    Bridge of Memories / Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  16. incredible photos! looks like such a beautiful place
    www.marylee31.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amazing backpacking moment ... liked your girls backpacks ... nice destination too ... av ery colorful buildings on top and ocean in front an ultimate vacation

    ReplyDelete