Sunday, June 11, 2017

New York Travel Diary

New York travel diary Times Square

It's been just over a month since I got off the plane at JFK and set my foot in the States for the first time in my life. Having never travelled outside Europe, this trip was significant to me in many ways. New York was a city I'd been dreaming of since I was a little girl. For me, it was a city I'd seen in hundreds of films, so iconic and magnificent that it didn't feel real. And I have to say, it did not disappoint. I spent a full week in New York in the beginning of May and I cannot wait until I can visit the Big Apple again.

There's so much that can be recommended in terms of what to see, do, and experience in New York, however, as a newbie to the city, I don't feel like writing a proper city guide is in my abilities. Instead, I'll just share some of the things that we did on the trip while trying not to get too tourist-y. 

New York travel diary Central park

New York travel diary central park

New York travel diary central park

New York travel diary central park

New York travel diary central park



A visit to Central Park is a must in New York. The park is enormous, and it's well worth spending a couple of hours just wandering around the area (the Guggenheim museum, as well as the Met are nearby). For me, the best thing was actually seeing all the locations I've seen in films and TV shows when I was younger in real life. As a kid, I used to watch Home Alone films every Christmas and all the Central Park scenes still feel fresh in my memory. Silly but true. 

New York travel diary top of the rock

New York travel diary top of the rock

New York travel diary top of the rock
I know visiting the Empire State (or Top of the Rock, in my case) is SOOO tourist-y but the views we experienced were magical so I regret nothing. We booked our visit to Top of the Rock a couple of days in advance for the 7 pm slot to watch the sun go down and the city light up. Just bear in mind that if it's a clear day, the higher platforms without glass windows are going to be packed with people. Honestly, we had to queue for at least 20 minutes for the lift to go down after the sun had set. Alternatively, you can also visit one of many New York roof top bars but the views are not going to be as incredible. Just do your research first which bar boosts the best views (and while you're at it, find out what kind of public frequent the bar of your choice. Just a little tip).

New York travel diary

New York travel diary

New York travel diary red bomber jacket vans checkered slip-on shoes outfit

New York travel diary

I figured Financial District deserves a separate paragraph because we spent at least half of our first day in the city there. Explore Wall Street, take in the high buildings (I'm still surprised my neck didn't get stuck in an upwards position from all the looking up that I did) and take advantage of the free Staten Island ferry that boosts amazing views of Manhattan. The ferry departs from the Whitehall terminal every 30 minutes and the trip is around 20 minutes long. Financial District is also home to the 9/11 Memorial - being there is such a strange and heartbreaking experience. Also, WTC and its new Oculus building is well worth visiting as the architecture is pretty amazing.

New York travel diary Brooklyn bridge Dumbo

New York travel diary Brooklyn Bridge Dumbo

New York travel diary Brooklyn bridge Dumbo

New York travel diary Brooklyn bridge Dumbo

New York travel diary Brooklyn Bridge Dumbo

New York travel diary Brooklyn bridge Dumbo


Looking back, I wish I'd spent more time in Brooklyn. Although we were based in Brooklyn (near Bushwick/Williamsburg, to be exact), there just wasn't enough time to explore everything. But there's one thing I can say for sure after my brief visit to the neighbourhood - Brooklyn is so damn cool. I was a bit apprehensive in the beginning thinking it's going to be like Shoreditch 2.0 just bigger but boy, I was so wrong (I hate Shoreditch and the random wannabes who flock there every weekend thinking they're stylish). We mainly just hung around Dumbo, and ended up visiting the Brooklyn Bridge 3 times in total. It's worth waiting for the sun to set and watch Manhattan light up.

New York travel diary Soho

New York travel diary Soho
New York travel diary

New York travel diary

New York travel diary

New York travel diary

My top advice for anyone visiting New York would be - explore the neighbourhoods. Yes, all the typical tourist stuff is nice and has to be done but there is nothing nicer than just getting lost in the beautiful streets of New York. Soho was a firm favourite of mine, as well as the Meatpacking District and Chelsea (make sure to visit the High Line in Chelsea - a disused railway track transformed into a park - but expect it to be packed with tourists). Also, I absolutely adored Greenwich Village, as it kind of felt like I had stepped into a movie set with all the brownstone houses and greenery. Believe me, New York and its neighbourhoods have so much character. 

That's it for my New York travel diary. Honestly, I'm having some serious NYC withdrawals right now. But here's to hoping I'll return to this magical city soon. 


10 comments:

  1. Ahhh these photos are amazing! New York is right at the top of my wishlist of places to visit, it looks like the most amazing city!

    whatevawears.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these photos! So jealous you got to go to the Big Apple, dying to visit sometime soon :)
    Feel free to check out my latest post x
    LOOK LOVE WEAR

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos!

    http://brightdecember.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the photos so much !

    Sara
    www.thecrimeofashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE your pictures!!!!

    www.lacaleya.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've captured New York so perfectly! I've always wanted to visit to badly! It really does sound amazing from all the post I've read! I like the tip about picking a bar and things! I'll definitely note that x
    http://www.pagesfrombeth.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such amazing photos, babe! Love the ones on the Brooklyn Bridge :)

    Enclothed Cognition

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your pictures! I'm going to be in NYC for the first time soon. So thank you for the recommendations :) <3

    Isa x

    http://www.lifestyle-trash.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, your pics are amazing ! You should do a book or at least have them developped !!

    xx

    www.caetera-moda.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. New York is amazing! I love your travel pics! <3

    X Merel
    www.andathousandwords.com

    ReplyDelete